The Louisiana Scholarship Program empowers low-income families with the same opportunity as more affluent parents – the financial resources to send their child to the school of their choice.
Louisiana Scholarship Program
Students Enrolled in 2017-2018
Applications Received for 2017-2018
Schools Participating in 2017-2018
Districts with Participating Schools
Average Scholarship for 2017-2018
- Be approved by the state to participate
- Private schools must be approved by the state to participate; Public schools must be rated “A” or “B” by the state
- Comply with health and safety codes
- Must not discriminate on basis of race, color, or national origin
- Must use an open admissions process in enrolling scholarship recipients
- Administer all LA state examinations required under the school and district accountability system
- To remain eligible to accept new students, a private school must receive a Scholarship Cohort Index of at least 50
- Private schools in operation less than two years cannot have more than 20 percent of students receiving scholarships
- Submit to the state an annual independent financial audit conducted by a certified public accountant
- Conduct criminal background checks on all school employees
- Private schools must maintain a curriculum of quality at least equal to that prescribed for public schools
- Family income cannot exceed 250 percent of the federal poverty guideline ($60,750 for a family of four in 2016)
- Entering grades K–12
- Attended a Louisiana public school rated C, D, F or T, or entering kindergarten for the first time
- Launched in 2008 as the Student Scholarships for Education Excellence Program (New Orleans only), expanded statewide in 2012.
- New Orleans
The OneApp main round application window for the 2018-2019 school year is Nov. 1, 2017 – Feb. 23, 2018. OneApp is the unified application process for public, charter and Louisiana Scholarship Program schools located in New Orleans. Click here to apply.
- Outside of New Orleans
The next opportunity to apply to attend Louisiana Scholarship Schools outside of New Orleans will take place in January 2018.